Working out can be healthy, rewarding and beneficial but is seldom known as an exhilarating experience. Zumba® has changed this! Easy-to-follow moves to Latin rhythms create a fun and enjoyable workout. Zumba® has long-term benefits while immediate effects can be felt. Fast and slow rhythms are combined with resistance training to sculpt and tone your body while burning fat. The word “Zumba” is from Columbian descent and means ‘to move fast and have fun’.
A typical Zumba® session lasts about an hour and incorporates several dance styles including Cumbia, Merengue, Salsa, Reggaeton, Mambo, Rumba, Flamenco, Calypso and Salsaton. Depending on the instructor, they might even include Belly dancing or Hip Hop.
Zumba® has become a revolution spreading worldwide and is being taught at over 50,000 locations in 75 countries.
History & Timeline:
Celebrity fitness trainer “Beto” Perez stumbled upon the concept when he forgot his aerobics music for a class. He had to use compilation tapes which included his favourite songs with Latin, Salsa and Merengue music. He improvised and rose to the challenge. With this, the creation of The Zumba Fitness-Party™.
- 1999: Beto brings the class to the USA.
- 2001: Beto together with entrepreneurs Perlman & Aghion creates a global company based on fitness philosophy. The trademark the word Zumba®
- 2002: Perlman & Aghion secure a deal to launch the concept in the States releasing thousands of videos on the US market.
- 2003: Zumba Fitness® and Kellogg Company develop a fitness campaign. The program has been featured on millions of boxed of Kellogg’s® Special K®.
- 2004: Zumba Fitness® launches an infomercial campaign increasing sales to millions of DVD’s in over 30 countries.
- 2005: The Zumba Academy™ was established and created an educational division.
- 2006: Thousands of Zumba® instructors present the program worldwide.
- 2007: The Zumba® program launched internationally and spans six continents – North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia & Australia.
- 2008: Zumba Fitness® launched its third DVD collection.
Zumba Fitness® and the Zumba Academy have aligned with AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America), ACE (American Council of Exercise), IDEA (world’s largest association for fitness professionals), SWC Fitness Education, Can-Fit-Pro (Int. Trade Show and Conference in Canada and many top national and international fitness facility chains.
Sources: Woman’s Health & Zumba.com